Located within the southern portion of the St. Louis City neighborhoods is Tower Grove South. Covering nearly 1.49 total square miles of land, surrounding neighborhoods include Tower Grove Park to the north, Bevo Mill and Dutchtown to the south, Gravois Park and Tower Grove East to the eastern portion and North Hampton to the west. As of the 2010 census, Tower Grove South’s population was recorded at 13,333 residents. It is represented by two Aldermen sitting in the 10th and 15th Ward.
Tower Grove South’s origins date back to as early as the mid-to-late 1800s as the land encompassing the current region was originally included in the old historic neighborhood of Oak Hill. In fact, for many years after the Oak Hill neighborhood was split into different regions, the name of Oak Hill still stuck for the area for several years before becoming known as Tower Grove South.
Like many of the other nearby neighborhoods to Tower Grove South, the area was noteworthy for an abundance of valuable clay deposits found within several coal mines. This lead to many mining operations throughout the 1800s and it helped develop the area as a place where workers brought their families to settle.
During the early portion of the 1900s, the neighborhood went through its biggest residential expansion as a majority of Tower Grove South’s current layout was built after the extension of streetcar lines from Downtown St. Louis. Many of the area’s homes were built between 1905 and 1909 and a greater part of them were all nearly two stories high, two bays wide and included extended front porches.
Throughout the early 20th century, many historic landmarks within the neighborhood were constructed including the six-story high Dickmann Building in 1926 and the St. Louis Bank Building & Equipment Company in 1928.
Residents of Tower Grove South are served by the St. Louis Public School District.