Aptly named for its location towards the eastern entrance of Tower Grove Park, Tower Grove East is bordered by Shaw and its sister neighborhood of Tower Grove South towards the west, Benton Park West and Gravois Park at the south, Fox Park at the east and Compton Heights at its northern borde. Tower Grove East covers a total of 0.51 square miles and, at the time of the 2010 census, Tower Grove East’s population was recorded at a totality of 5,853 residents. The neighborhood is represented by two Aldermen sitting in the sixth and 15th Wards respectively.
The area has history dating back to the 18th century when the region was originally part of the La Petite Prairie, a region of land settled by the French. It was mainly used for farming and grazing purposes, but portions of the area were sold as various private property zones. In 1850, the region saw an expansion of the number of German immigrants and much of present-day Tower Grove East was occupied as work-space by German farmers who utilized it for pasture and dairy farming functions.
These German natives, who were originally residing in the nearby Compton Heights neighborhood, eventually built residential properties around their farms as they saw immense potential for growth and development within the region. By the end of the 19th century, what we now know today as the western version of Tower Grove East was a vast community filled with comfortable and grand homes.
As Tower Grove Park developed a reputation from the end of 19th century forward, the nearest communities surrounding the park, Tower Grove South and Tower Grove East, began to be so synonymous that their names were branded with the popular local landmark.
Residents of Tower Grove East are served by the St. Louis Public School District.