Located in the central western portion of the City of St. Louis, the neighborhood of Skinker DeBaliviere is located directly north of Forest Park with boundaries including Delmar Boulevard at the north, Lindell Boulveard towards the south, DeBaliviere Avenue to the east and the city limits covering a majority of its western region. Designated a Located Historic District by the City of St. Louis in 1978, it covers roughly 0.52 total square miles of land and carries a population of, at the time of the 2010 census, nearly 4,077 residents. Skinker DeBaliviere is represented by two Aldermen sitting in the 26th and 28th Ward. Famous residents of Skinker DeBaliviere include the 42nd mayor of St. Louis, Vincent Schoemehl – serving from 1981 to 1993.
Skinker DeBaliviere’s origins date back to as early as 1905 when Julius Pitzman, a noteworthy midwestern surveyor during the turn of 20th century, developed what was to be the final private street subdivision within St. Louis. The area was chosen thanks to the growing popularity of the region following the incredible year 1904 brought to the area with the Olympic Games and the World’s Fair. Originally known as Parkview Place, it covered over 70 acres, included a little less than 300 homes and was the last of its kind built in the city – costing nearly $7,000. The neighborhood developed a few years after Pitzman’s original groundwork, settling sometime in late 1908.
Between 1907 and 1916 nearly 850 historic residential buildings were put together with the neighborhood growing throughout this time. Major non-residential construction throughout the early 1900s included the building of the Hamilton Elementary School in 1917, St. Roch’s Church in 1921 and the Wabash Railroad Station in 1929 – the latter now serving as the Delmar MetroLink station.
Residents of Skinker-DeBaliviere are served by the St. Louis Public School District.